17th Sep 2020
Timber Update September 2020
In June 2020, the government announced the new ‘Build Build Build’ deal; aimed at delivering jobs, skills and infrastructure for Britain. Here’s how it looks two months on:
- At £4.43 billion, the total value of civil engineering approvals during the three months to July was three-times higher than the previous year
- Major projects, at £3.6 billion, were 343% higher than the previous year
- New planning rules designates land into three major categories; growth, renewal and regeneration
To read the full article, click here.
Timber Market Update
- The Timber Trade Federation reports a ‘challenging’ softwood timber market for the remainder of 2020, as stocks in the UK remain low and prices and demand in the USA divert supply away from other markets.
- The recent political troubles in Belarus have had a significant impact on timber supply from the Baltics, which has placed increased pressure on (already strained) supplies from the Nordics, UK and Irish sawmilling sector.
- The newer and more stringent felling licence system in Ireland is threatening to disrupt the supply of logs to the Irish sawmilling sector. The owners of the major sawmills in Ireland are warning of job losses and are working with the newly appointed ministers to try to find a resolution.
- Gardens have been revealed as the most popular feature Brits are looking for in their next home according to a recent article in DIY week online. Demand for property is already increasing in areas away from highly populated zones, as the need to be within a commutable distance from a workplace lessens. The spend on materials for the garden, to improve our home living and working environments, looks likely to remain strong for the foreseeable future.
To read the latest Timber Trade Federation (TTF) report, click here.
Our impressive range of softwood and hardwood landscape timbers are designed to enhance gardens and other outdoor environments. We source high-quality, FSC and PEFC-certified redwood decking from our Swedish and Latvian sawmills.
If you are looking to forward-order replenishment of your softwood decking for Q4 2020, please contact us now to discuss your requirements.