Request your seminars
CPD seminars are an excellent way of finding out more about our product portfolio, seeing our products up close, how they work and how they will benefit your projects.
Our team are available nationwide to deliver a range of free CPD Seminars in your offices, or one of our showrooms, at a time and date that fits your schedule.
Simply take a look at the seminars we offer below and select those that you would like to arrange. Once you are finished view the booking list and complete the form - your local representative will be in touch to confirm a date.
Taylor Maxwell Facades Product Overview
This presentation provides an overview of the range of facade products that we supply. It covers our range of brick, cladding, masonry and offsite solutions and displays examples of our products on completed projects. Products covered include:
- Facing bricks (including our exclusive Select Range)
- Special shaped and long format bricks
- Mechanically fixed brick cladding
- Stone cladding
- Terracotta cladding
- Metal and mesh cladding
- Natural and reconstituted cast stone
- Architectural masonry
An Introduction To Natural Stone Rainscreens
This presentation provides an introduction to natural stone rainscreen cladding. It also covers the following points;
- Evolution of the use of stone in construction.
- Why natural stone rainscreen has grown alongside traditionally laid stone.
- Building standards for consideration.
- Identify the key components within a natural stone rainscreen system.
- How to specify a stone cladding system and what details should be considered.
- Understanding of Light and Heavyweight Kerf Systems.
- Natural stone rain screen projects demonstrating typical finishes and details.
Brick Cladding - RIBA Approved
This presentation offers an introduction to brick cladding. It aims to cover the following points;
- To provide an understanding of an architectural brick cladding system and how it was developed and tested.
- Principles of installation.
- Benefits of brick cladding.
- Technical Credentials.
- Aesthetic options and case studies.
- To provide an understanding of the characteristics and limitations of brick cladding.
- To allow confident specification of the system.
Natural Stone Cladding
This presentation will offer an introduction to the Stonepanel natural stone cladding system. It also covers the following points;
- Colour and finish options.
- How to fix and cut.
- Suitable substrates.
- Cleaning regime.
- Technical and typical details.
- Installation speed.
- Project imagery.
Natural Mineral Rainscreen
This presentation provides an introduction to the concept of rainscreen cladding. Contents will cover principle design details, installation procedures and project imagery of the materials listed below;
- Terracotta Rainscreen.
- Ceramic Rainscreen.
- Glass Rainscreen.
- GRC Rainscreen.
Material Specification & Workmanship - RIBA Approved
This seminar outlines how to specify clay bricks to create durable, aesthetic buildings for the future. This involves discussing:
- The materials and different manufacturing methods for clay bricks.
- The physical properties i.e. durability, compressive strength and water absorption.
- Current Regulation and Codes of Practice that relate to the manufacture and construction with clay bricks.
- Design detailing and durability.
- Handling and construction .
Movement in Masonry
This seminar outlines the requirement for and design detailing of expansion joints in clay masonry. This involves discussing:
- Comparing traditional solid wall masonry with cavity wall construction and the considerations that relate to each.
- The specification of vertical and horizontal expansion joints i.e. frequency and detailing.
- The relationship of movement and design for off the frame cladding.
- Examples of good and poor practice.
Future Proof Facades: With Stonewool Cladding - RIBA Approved
This seminar will provide a background to stone wool cladding and cover the following points;
- Fire performance.
- Technical details.
- Colours and finishes.
- Project imagery
Cladding Framing Systems
This presentation provides an overview to two different aluminium support systems for rainscreen cladding. The presentation also covers the following points;
- An introduction to Fast Frame.
- An introduction to All Face.
- The benefits of each system.
- Suitable Facades finishes.
- Calculations for the system.
Specification Cast in Stone - RIBA Approved
A presentation which offers an insight into the different types and finishes of Walling and Cast Stone products available. It offers guidance on the successful specification of each product and gives detailed advice on the breadth of options available and their key design features, while examining the most important aspects of detailing in conjunction with brick and walling stone.
Design with Architectural Masonry - RIBA Approved
A presentation which covers all the most vital aspects of designing with Architectural Masonry; from the importance of modular design and movement control, to structural performance, thermal insulation, sound reduction, fire resistance and much more
Innovations in Brickwork
This presentation is designed to provide information on the innovative products that a leading UK manufacturer has introduced, providing details not only on what benefits the innovations can offer specifiers and their clients, but also how they can be used in work.
Innovations included are Fireborn (large format bricks), glazed bricks, Tilebrick, rainscreens, pre-assembled, Linear and precast brickwork and more.
Designing for Movement in Brickwork - RIBA Approved
This seminar looks at the essential considerations that must be given to brickwork to accommodate movement- the largest contributor being expansion and contraction due to changes in temperature. How this movement is accommodated, together with materials for movement joint fillers and sealants, is discussed with illustrations of both good and bad examples.
Durability in Brickwork - RIBA Approved
The presentation outlines the key design considerations and applicable criteria to maintain long-term durability and satisfactory appearance of brickwork. It looks at exposure, British Standards, correct brick selection, mortars, jointing etc, together with the necessary detailing of dpc’s, cavity trays, parapets and copings to produce durable brickwork.
Achieving Quality Brickwork - RIBA Approved
Many people within the construction team are responsible for the acceptance of brickwork and in many cases the brickwork is judged on “how it looks” and not “how it actually is”. Achieving Quality Brickwork looks in detail at the requirements of relevant Codes of Practice and their implementation in the construction of the cavity wall. Both good and bad examples of cavity walling will be shown to illustrate the need to properly supervise brickwork during construction.
An Introduction To Brickwork - RIBA Approved
This presentation has been designed to provide information on the basic principles of brickwork for those new to specifying brickwork, or for those requiring a “back to basics” refresher. The presentation addresses different techniques of manufacturing bricks to provide a variety of finishes and appearances. Durability, mortar and the importance of setting out to brick dimensions are covered, along with an overview of DPC’s, basic principles of movement and also the use of special shapes.
Factory Tour - RIBA Approved
Ibstock has 19 factories nationwide and the tour, which can be held at any factory, follows the manufacturing process from start to finish. Within the group a variety of processes can be seen ranging from traditional hand-making and clamp firing through to extruding bricks and the latest tunnel kilns.
The Benefits of Clay Paving - RIBA Approved
This seminar looks at the benefits of clay paving and where and when it can be used. It will help you to understand the following topics:
- Understand the different sizes and forms of clay pavers available.
- Understand how to choose the right construction method, including a brief look at rigid and flexible construction methods for clay pavers.
- Understand laying patterns and the importance of edge restraint.
- Understand how British Standard BS EN 1344 can define the product selection of clay pavers.
Brick Design and Innovation - RIBA Approved
Ancient and modern iconic structures, exploring early brick structures, to the present day:
- Brick used in alternative & Innovative ways, creating contemporary structures using one of the oldest construction materials.
- An introduction to clay masonry and appropriate specification.
- The basic properties of bricks.
- An overview of manufacturing techniques, terms and definitions, in accordance with the product standard BSEN771-1 2003 & PAS 10 testing methodology.
- A look at special bricks, green credentials, with case studies of projects where non-standard brick products are used to good effect.
Right Brick First Time
This seminar aims to give architects and designers an understanding of bricks, their history and the various types available. Also considerations when specifying bricks that affect the appearance of the build and the importance of movement joints. The seminar covers:
- How to narrow down the choices of bricks suitable for particular areas.
- How the mortar colour and joint can change the overall appearance of the build.
- The importance of movement joints and what materials to use to fill movement joints.
- How the use of bond patterns and specials can be used to great effect in the overall finish of the building.