Timber Update December 2020
We hope you have found our monthly timber updates useful in what has been a challenging year. We have endeavoured to support our customers and we thank you for your understanding and loyalty throughout this year. We would like to wish all of our customers and partners a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
To view our updates from 2020, click here.
- Britain's construction industry grew faster than expected last month, boosted by the strongest orders since 2014 amid a boom in house prices.
- Worries mount ahead of Brexit as products get clogged up at ports. The Builders Merchants Federation says supply chains are being stretched, possibly due to delays from products being shipped in containers from the Far East.
- The Government has launched its ‘Construction Playbook’ outlining how they will work with the industry to make sure public projects are delivered faster, better and greener. The Playbook also outlines the key role construction will play in the UK’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and work to bring greenhouse gas emissions down to net zero by 2050.
To access the UK Government Construction Playbook, click here.
Timber Market Update
- The random length lumber continuous contract index passed the $800 mark this month, having started 2020 at $406. It rose to almost $1000 at the start of September before a sharp correction. It now follows a positive trajectory since dipping below $500 briefly at the end of October.
- North Asia to UK rates spike on demand ahead of the UK’s exit from the European Union. Importers currently seek to front-load ahead of this deadline at the start of January.
- S&P Global reports that container shipping congestion, caused by volatile demand and skeletal staffing at ports and in warehouses, will support record freight rates as we go into 2021.
To read the full S&P Global report, click here.
European KD Oak
We have landed fresh stocks of European KD Oak in 26mm-80mm thickness with fixed and random widths for prompt delivery.
Please contact us for details and pricing.